Thursday, June 17, 2010

Man, Teen Charged In Fatal Shooting Of FL Tow Company Owner

Here's the Sun-Sentinel story:

WEST PALM BEACH — A 79-year-old man who died Saturday after a confrontation earlier in the week with two or three other people, did not fire back after shots were fired at him. Instead, he drove away.

Initial reports of the incident said Lamar Davis Sr., of West Palm Beach, was involved in a shootout in the 1200 block of 10th Street. But a police report released Wednesday said Davis' gun, found in his sport utility vehicle, "had not been recently fired."

Leon Duncan, 24, of West Palm Beach, was arrested Tuesday and charged with second-degree murder in Davis' death.

On Wednesday, Mikira Passard, 17, whose residence was not immediately available, was arrested and also charged with second-degree murder.

While Duncan showed his weapon to Davis first, police reports indicate Davis apparently was not intimidated and said, "You young bloods aren't the only ones with a gun."

Before the shooting started, about 3:30 a.m. June 9, Davis picked up two people from work and drove to a nearby store. The two people, who also witnessed the shooting, received a call from Duncan requesting rolling papers and went to Duncan's car, according to police reports.

Davis, whose family owns and operates West Palm Beach-based Davis Towing, drove to Duncan's car and tried opening the door, which irritated Duncan. Duncan showed Davis his gun and Davis got into his vehicle.

Duncan and Davis both drove to the the house of one of the witnesses on 10th Street. Davis showed the witness that he, too, had a gun and the witness told him to go home. The two started yelling at each other.

That's when Davis got in his vehicle and drove over to Duncan's car, told the "young bloods" that he had a gun as well and pointed his pistol at Duncan's windshield.

That set Duncan and one of his passengers, Passard, into a rage and the two started shooting at Davis. Duncan shot two or three times directly at Davis and Passard shot at Davis' car, said police reports.

Injured, Davis drove into a house on the 100 block of Australian Avenue. He was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center, where he died three days later.

West Palm Beach Police Department, the FBI office in West Palm Beach and the U.S. Marshals Florida Regional Fugitive Task Force were involved in the investigation.

No comments: