There was an error in this gadget

Monday, November 10, 2008

Everyday Heroes in MA

Kudos to the employees of Pat’s Service Center and Towing! Here's the story from the Worcester Telegram & Gazette:

WORCESTER— A Fall River man who allegedly tried to fool authorities with a phony tattoo is to be arraigned in Central District Court this afternoon on charges involving the robbery of the Digital Federal Credit Union on Shrewsbury Street yesterday.

Wilfred M. Cook, 33, is accused of walking into the 225 Shrewsbury St. bank yesterday about 1 p.m. and handing a note to the teller. The note demanded cash and stated he had a weapon, according to police.

Authorities believe Mr. Cook colored a teardrop tattoo under one of his eyes in an attempt to change his appearance. Later in the day when Mr. Cook was arrested, the phony tattoo was gone.

Mr. Cook ran out of the bank to nearby Casco Street, where he entered the tow yard of Pat’s Service Center and Towing.

“Several of the drivers were there and saw this guy run in,” Detective Capt. Edward J. McGinn Jr. said. “They shouted out for him to stop, but he didn’t. They chased him to the back of the lot, where he tried to jump over a fence.”

Mr. Cook got a little way up the fence, but the tow truck drivers pulled him down. At that point, some cash fell from Mr. Cook’s hands or pants, the captain said.

“The drivers tried to hold the suspect, but he pulled out a knife and swung it at two of them,” Capt. McGinn said. The drivers backed off, and Mr. Cook again tried to scale the fence.

Drivers pulled him down again, prompting Mr. Cook to swing the knife another time. Finally, the suspect was able to climb over the fence.

He jumped into a Nissan Altima and drove off. The tow truck drivers took down the license plate number and passed it on to police.

Detectives said Mr. Cook had his girlfriend’s car and were able to track him down to a Stephens Avenue home.

About 6:50 p.m., police called Mr. Cook, who was inside the home. At first Mr. Cook refused to come out, but after about 20 minutes of negotiating with Detective Sgt. Thomas R. Radula, Mr. Cook agreed to come out.

Mr. Cook is facing assault and robbery charges.

No comments: